Beguiling Bubbles Love Potion
Name: Beguiling Bubbles Love Potion
Inspired by: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Serving Size: 8 cups (about 2 liters)
Secret Ingredient: Rose petals
"It's beautiful, isn't it? The moon..." - Ron Weasley
In the wizarding world, love potions abound. Common ingredients include rose thorns and peppermint, which inspired this sparkling iced tea. You may also substitute 5 tablespoons whole dried rose hips, 5 teaspoons fresh ground rose hips, or a drop of rose essence if you don't have fresh garden roses on hand. If using rose essence, add just before serving.
I deny all liability if you seduce someone with this. For more recipes inspired by Harry Potter, check out Bryton Taylor's blog.
Making Beguiling Bubbles
You will need:
- 1/2 cup petals of organic roses (you may substitute rose hips or rose essence)
- 1 bunch fresh peppermint leaves
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup raspberry juice (instructions below)
- 4 cups unsweetened seltzer
- Ice cubes (optional)
- Place peppermint (without chopping) and rosepetals into a large heat-safe container, reserving a few mint leaves.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Meanwhile, make raspberry juice (instructions below).
- Turn off heat and pour hot water over petals and mint leaves. Steep until the flavor has absorbed (about 5 minutes).
- Strain tea, add raspberry juice, and let cool (about 10 minutes).
- Transfer to a pitcher, and chill in refrigerator (about 1 hour).
- To serve, mix 1 part tea with 1 part seltzer.
- Add ice cubes (optional), and sweeten with additional honey and sugar as desired. Garnish with remaining peppermint leaves.
Making Raspberry Juice
You will need:
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh, high-grade honey
- In a pot, bring raspberries and water to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer (about 3 minutes). Stir in honey.
- Remove from heat, and let cool.
- Strain, reserving the juice.