Name: Jibalian Omelet
Inspired by: Star Trek - Voyager
Serving Size: makes 1 omelet
Secret Ingredient: Sea salt
"I remember when I was trying to perfect the recipe for my Jibalian omelette...in a dream, it came to me. I was using six spices, but the omelette needed seven." - Neelix
Making the Jibalian Omelet
You will need:
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh chervil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 sliced sausage
- 1/4 cup fresh spinach
- 2 chopped button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup cheddar (or your favorite) cheese
- Place 1 tablespoon butter in saucepan.
- Add the sausage slices to the pan and cook until satisfactorily browned (about 6 minutes each side). Set aside.
- Add the mushrooms and spinach to the pan, and cook until the leaves are somewhat wilted. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs until frothy.
- Add milk, half of basil, chervil, chives, turmeric, tarragon, pepper, and salt to eggs and mix well.
- Place remaining butter in pan.
- Spoon egg mixture into pan over melted butter.
- Using a spatula, flip over egg when the underside has cooked (examine the edges or roll the pan about to determine if the underside has cooked).
- Once the egg has cooked on both sides, top half of the egg with cheese, onion, sausage slices, mushrooms, and spinach.
- Fold the other half of the egg over the filling, and press down gently with the spatula without spilling toppings into the pan.
- Use the spatula to carefully transfer the omelet to a serving dish, and top with remaining fresh basil.
- Serve hot, with coffee or orange juice ("Traggle nectar").