Hyper Rainbow Bread
Name: Hyper Rainbow Bread
Inspired by: Clannad - After Story
Secret Ingredient: Food coloring
"It's called rainbow bread. Rainbow to you!" - Akio Furukawa
It may take some time to knead the food coloring into the dough and achieve the color you desire. Don't worry too much if you accidentally spill some, but do wash your hands and countertops as soon as you can to prevent staining.
Making the Hyper Rainbow Bread
You will need:
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2.5 tbsp white sugar
- 1 envelope instant yeast
- 1.5 tbsp melted butter
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- Food coloring (at least 10 drops of each desired color)
- In a large glass bowl, combine milk and egg.
- Heat bowl in the microwave until mixture has warmed (about 60 seconds).
- Add sugar and yeast.
- Stir in melted butter and salt until well combined.
- Add flour, 1 cup at a time, and mix until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Knead on a floured surface until the dough is smooth, soft, and elastic (about 5 minutes).
- Divide the dough into as many pieces as you wish there to be colors. (For example, if you want yellow, blue, and green bread, divide the dough into three dough balls.)
- For each ball: make a well in the center and add drops of food coloring inside the well (probably 3 at a time). Try not to let the food coloring touch your hands while it is wet. Instead, knead the dough over the well and slowly work the color into the ball. Feel free to mix colors (like red and blue to make purple).
- Once you have dough balls of different colors, begin to knead them into each other. You can use water to help them adhere to each other better. Swirl the colors with your hands until you achieve a rainbow effect.
- Place the rainbow ball of dough in a bowl, cover with a towel and leave in a warm place until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) until golden brown (about 30 minutes).
- To achieve a soft crust, brush the top with butter (optional).
- Once cool, slice and enjoy!