Rice Ball Donuts
Name: Rice Ball Donuts
Inspired by: Pokémon
Serving Size: 8-12 donuts
"Nothing beats a jelly-filled donut!" - Brock
These glazed, jam-filled donuts are brushed with white chocolate and rolled in shredded coconut. I use blueberry lemon fruit leather for the wrappers, but other chefs have used mint chocolate paper or fondant.
Making the Donuts
You will need:
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon warm water
- 3/8 cup + 1 pinch sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Oil (for frying)
- Combine warm water, yeast, and pinch sugar in a large bowl.
- Warm milk and add to mixture.
- Gradually, add each of the remaining ingredients except oil.
- Cover bowl in damp tea towel, and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Punch down the dough and turn it out onto a floured surface. Knead to remove any air bubbles.
- Roll out the dough into a long rectangle (1/3" thick).
- Use a knife to cut the dough into about 10 triangles. Round corners.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (121 degrees C) until warm (about 5 minutes). Meanwhile, boil enough water to fit in a small round cake pan.
- Once oven has warmed, turn it off. Place cake pan with hot water in lower rack, and donuts on a prepared tray above the cake pan. Let rise (about 30 minutes).
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Oil is ready when the dough bubbles after contact and doesn't turn brown quickly (temperature should be aorund 350°F, or 175°C).
- Fry donuts until golden brown (about 1 minute each side).
- Transfer with slotted spoon to a dish lined with paper towels. Allow to cool slightly.
Making the Fruit Leather Wrappers (optional)
You will need:
- 4 cups fresh or thawed fruit
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or as desired)
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey (or as desired)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (93 degrees C).
- Cover a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Heat all ingredients in a small pot, stirring until mixture has slightly thickened.
- Transfer into a food processor and blend together until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour mixture onto the baking sheet and spread evenly with spatula.
- Bake until leather is sticky to the touch, but does not pull off onto your finger (about 5-6 hours).
- Remove from oven and set aside to finishing hardening.
- Once cool, peel away from mat and slice. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Completing the Rice Ball Donuts
You will need:
- Donuts (above)
- 1 cup jam
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups shredded coconut
- Fruit leather wrappers (above, optional)
- Poke a hole in the base of each donut with a chopstick.
- Gently, shimmy the chopstick inside to open up a little more space for the filling.
- Fill a pastry bag with jam, and cut the tip off.
- Insert the bag into the bottom of each donut and squeeze to fill.
- Combine powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and salt to make glaze.
- Melt white chocolate and butter in microwave, and stir. Heat in 30 second intervals until the mixture is liquid.
- Brush each donut with the white chocolate mixture, then the glaze.
- Finally, roll each donut in coconut. Allow to dry, then wrap with fruit leather like traditional onigiri.
More Recipes for Rice Ball Donuts