Egg Omelet of Happiness (幸せのタマゴ焼き)
Name: Egg Omelet of Happiness (幸せのタマゴ焼き)
Inspired by: Shuffle! (シャッフル!)
Secret Ingredient: Dashi
"Wow - it's so good!" - Rin Tsuchimi
In the anime, Nerine goes a little overboard and makes a huge box-shaped egg. We reduce the portions here, so that you don't end up with an overwhelming amount of omelet to eat. Also, it's fine to use a regular frying pan if you don't have a special rectangular one. For fancier omelets, you can add tuna to the egg before rolling and drizzle with soy sauce.
Making the Omelet
You will need:
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup dashi (soup stock)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin (or 1 tablespoon sake + 2 additional teaspoons sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
- Vegetable oil (to grease the pan)
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in a circular motion and don't overbeat!
- Grease a large rectangular frying pan with oil well. Heat the pan over low heat and use chopsticks to wipe the bottom with a folded paper towel that has been dipped in oil.
- Add 1/4 of the egg mixture to the pan until the pan is covered.
- Cook, using chopsticks to swiftly tap out any bubbles that arise.
- Once the mixture has somewhat solidified, push it to one side of the pan.
- Re-oil the pan. Slide the cooked egg to the other side to grease the entire pan.
- Add a second ladle of egg mixture to the pan, lifting the cooked egg so the new mixture flows underneath.
- After the new mixture has mostly cooked, gently roll the completely cooked egg to the other side of the pan.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture until all the mixture has cooked.
- To perfect the shape of your omelet, slide the cooked egg roll onto a sushi mat (alternatively, use paper towels or parchment paper). While still warm, the roll can be shaped by your hands or the wrap.
- When cool, slice into squares and serve. Serve with soy sauce for dipping.