"Funyuns are AWESOME!" - Jesse Pinkman
Inspired by: Breaking Bad
Secret Ingredient: Apple cider vinegar
Chef's note: Real funyuns are made by putting cornmeal and water under high pressure. The recipe here is a delicious fried substitute adapted from Veganachronism's blog. While the texture isn't quite right, the taste is great! Contact us if you'd like to submit your own homemade Funyun recipe.
Making the Funyuns
You will need:
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp corn oil
- 1 cup corn flour (or cornmeal)
- 1/2 cup soy flour (or white flour)
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Oil for frying
- Salt, granulated onion, and garlic powder for sprinkling
- In a medium bowl, combine milk and vinegar.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, cornstarch, sugar, and salt.
- Add the curdled milk and corn oil to the large bowl and mix.
- If mixture is too runny, add more cornmeal and flour. If too thick, add more curdled milk.
- Heat your pan and add oil for frying.
- Pour mixture into a ziplock bag (or use a pastry bag).
- When the frying pan is hot, cut off a corner of the ziplock bag and pipe the mixture into the pan in the shape of small rings. (The frying pan is hot enough if the batter sizzles upon contact.)
- Using a slotted spatula, flip rings when cooked on one side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Toss the rings with salt, onion, and garlic powder.