Name: Homemade Funyuns
Inspired by: Breaking Bad
Secret Ingredient: Apple cider vinegar
"Funyuns are AWESOME!" - Jesse Pinkman
Making the Funyuns
You will need:
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp corn oil
- 1 cup corn flour (or cornmeal)
- 1/2 cup soy flour (or white flour)
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Oil for frying
- Salt, granulated onion, and garlic powder for sprinkling
- In a medium bowl, combine milk and vinegar.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, cornstarch, sugar, and salt.
- Add the curdled milk and corn oil to the large bowl and mix.
- If mixture is too runny, add more cornmeal and flour. If too thick, add more curdled milk.
- Heat your pan and add oil for frying.
- Pour mixture into a ziplock bag (or use a pastry bag).
- When the frying pan is hot, cut off a corner of the ziplock bag and pipe the mixture into the pan in the shape of small rings. (The frying pan is hot enough if the batter sizzles upon contact.)
- Using a slotted spatula, flip rings when cooked on one side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Toss the rings with salt, onion, and garlic powder.