Exploding Meatball Sub
Name: Exploding Meatball Sub
Inspired by: How I Met Your Mother
Serving Size: 4 sandwich rolls
Secret Ingredient: More marinara sauce
"More marinara sauce!" - Barney Stinson
Making the Meatballs
You will need:
- 1 egg
- 1/2 pound ground sirloin
- 1/2 pound ground sausage
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup Parmesean cheese
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 tsp each of basil, oregano, sage, rosemary, and thyme
- 1 pinch each of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Beat the egg in a large bowl, and add the other ingredients.
- Use your hands to mix until just combined.
- Shape mixture into balls, and place balls into the wells of a mini muffin pan.
- Bake in oven until cooked through (about 15 minutes).
Completing the Exploding Meatball Sub
You will need:
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 4 hoagie bread rolls
- Fresh basil and shredded mozzarella cheese, for sprinkling (optional)
- Heat the sauce and broth in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the cooked meatballs and simmer (about 5 minutes).
- Spread a layer of sauce on each cut open roll.
- Top with meatballs, another healthy layer of sauce, cheese, and herbs.
- Space hoagie rolls apart in a baking sheet, and toast in the preheated oven just enough for the cheese to melt (about 5 minutes).
- Enjoy your well-deserved meatball sub (but try not to spill marinara sauce on your suit).