Inspired by: Harry Potter
Serving Size: One large mug
Secret Ingredient: Nutmeg ("butter" and "beer" are a little too obvious)
"Why don't we go and have a butterbeer in the Three Broomsticks, it's a bit cold, isn't it?" - Hermione Granger (Goblet of Fire)
Fair warning - this isn't a recipe for the butterbeer from Universal Studios. I drank that stuff and it was magical and filled me with bubbly nerdy joy, but the flavor wasn't quite what I had imagined from the books. This one is inspired by an old recipe for "buttered beer", and it makes me all tingly and warm inside.
Making the Butterbeer
You will need:
- 3.5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 pint ginger beer or light ale
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small bowl, whisk the sugar and yolks until pale.
- Add beer to saucepan over low heat, and whisk in ginger and nutmeg.
- Once the beer mixture has warmed, stir in sugar and yolks. It will combine to form a creamish color. (Let steam, but do not boil, or the yolks will harden.)
- Remove from heat when the mixture has thickened. Stir in butter until it has melted completely.
- Enjoy hot or ice cold.
More Recipes for Butterbeer