Clemenza's Tomato Sauce
Name: Clemenza's Tomato Sauce
Inspired by: The Godfather
Serving Size: serves 10
Secret Ingredient: Red wine
"Come over here, kid, learn something. You never know, you might have to cook for twenty guys someday." - Clemenza
Making the Tomato Sauce
You will need:
- Meatballs (see below for suggested recipe)
- 3 Italian sausages
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 (28 oz.) cans tomatoes
- 2 (6 oz.) cans tomato paste
- Red wine, to taste
- Sugar, to taste
- Place the sausages in a skillet over medium heat, and brown on all sides. Set aside on a small plate, and slice.
- Mince garlic, and fry in oil over medium heat until light brown.
- Mix in tomatoes and paste, making sure it doesn't stick.
- Once boiling, stir in sausages and meatballs.
- Add a splash of wine and sugar, to taste.
Making the Meatballs
You will need:
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 15 leaves oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Soak bread crumbs in milk (at least five minutes).
- Meanwhile: chop parsley, thyme, and oregano. Fry onions in oil over medium heat until translucent.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients, including bread crumb mixture and onions.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until malleable (about 45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Cover a baking sheet with foil, and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Wet your hands and form 1.5" diameter balls and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until cooked through (about 15 minutes).