"A creamy treat, as fresh as can be! Thanks, mom!" - Creme-Filled Cake advertisement
- Make the chocolate cream: in a large bowl, whip cream cheese until fluffy. Melt chocolate in a saucepan over low heat and add to cream cheese along with 1 tablespoon vanilla and salt. Mix well. Gradually add 4 cups powdered sugar, stirring to blend in. Finally, gradually add evaporated milk and stir until the cream spreads well.
- Make the vanilla cream: combine water and sugar in another pan over medium heat. Mix until boiling and sugar has dissolved and remove from heat. Once cool, add to a large bowl along with oil and 1 tablespoon vanilla. Cut in butter and stir well. Gradually add the remaining 4 cups powdered sugar until fluffy. If too thick, moisten with milk or water until the desired consistency has been reached.
- Cut the cake into 2 or 3-inch squares.
- Frost the top of one square and the bottom of another with a thin layer of chocolate cream.
- Add a spoonful of vanilla cream on the frosted-top square, and spread to make a thin layer of vanilla over the chocolate.
- Place the square with the chocolate-frosted bottom on top of the other frosted square.
- Use extra vanilla cream to frost the top with swirls.
- Repeat frosting process with remaining squares.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour batter into a greased 13-inch by 9-inch glass baking dish.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean (about 30 minutes).
- Set aside to cool before removing from pan (about 10 minutes).