Krabby Jelly Patty
Name: Krabby Jelly Patty
Inspired by: Spongebob Squarepants
Serving Size: 6 mini burgers
Secret Ingredient: Grape jelly
"Ah, there is nothing better than the taste of natural jelly from a jellyfish." - Spongebob
Think jelly and burgers don't mix? I took Spongebob's invention as a challenge, and found they go together very well. The secret is to use the jelly to caramelize onion slices. You end up with a super flavorful patty topping! Yum!
This is such an easy trick to spice up homemade burgers...I'm going to make them this way from now on!
Making Krabby Jelly Patties
You will need:
- 1/2 of a large onion
- Oil, for frying
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 2-3 tbsp grape jelly
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bell peppers, minced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, freshly chopped
- 1 pound ground chicken, turkey, or beef
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 6 mini sesame buns
- 6 cheese slices
- 6 tomato slices
- Lettuce (at least three large leaves)
- Pickles, for garnish
- Condiments - ketchup, mayo, mustard (optional)
- Chop onions into long, thin slices. Fry slices over low heat, until soft and translucent.
- Stir in water and jelly. Mix very well until jelly combines with water.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions have caramelized and most of the water has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, make burgers by combining egg, meat, cilantro, and bell peppers. Add breadcrumbs until mixture is dry enough to shape.
- Divide mixture into rounds and flatten into 6 patties.
- Grill burgers on each side until cooked through. Transfer to prepared plate.
- Layer each burger as follows:
Serve, and enjoy the taste of natural jelly.
- Bottom bun
- Your choice of ketchup, mayo, or mustard (or all three!)
- Cheese slice
- Caramelized onions
- Tomato slice
- Top bun