"Ah, there is nothing better than the taste of natural jelly from a jellyfish." - Spongebob
Think jelly and burgers don't mix? I took Spongebob's invention as a challenge, and found they go together very well. The secret is to use the jelly to caramelize onion slices. You end up with a super flavorful patty topping! Yum!
This is such an easy trick to spice up homemade burgers. I'm going to make them this way from now on!
- Chop onions into long, thin slices. Fry slices over low heat, until soft and translucent.
- Stir in water and jelly. Mix very well until jelly combines with water.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions have caramelized and most of the water has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, make burgers by combining egg, meat, cilantro, and bell peppers. Add breadcrumbs until mixture is dry enough to shape.
- Divide mixture into rounds and flatten into 6 patties.
- Grill burgers on each side until cooked through. Transfer to prepared plate.
- Layer each burger as follows:
- Bottom bun
- Your choice of ketchup, mayo, or mustard (or all three!)
- Cheese slice
- Caramelized onions
- Tomato slice
- Top bun
- Serve, and enjoy the taste of natural jelly.