"We call it lembas or waybread, and it is more strengthening than any foods made by Men." - The Elves
This is more pleasant than cram, by all accounts, and the aroma from the oven is heavenly. Fill a water bottle and you've got yourself a great roadtrip snack.
The Lord of the Rings
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in cold butter and blend until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, milk, honey, and vanilla until well-mixed and a dough has formed.
- On a floured surface, use a rolling pin to flatten to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Using a knife, cut 3 x 3-inch squares out of the dough. Use the extra dough to make additional squares.
- Place each square on a cookie sheet and use the knife to lightly indent two diagonals from corner to corner on each square. (Do not cut all the way through the dough!)
- Cook until lembas is golden-brown (about 10-12 minutes).