Name: Lemon Cakes
Inspired by: A Song of Ice and Fire
Secret Ingredient: Lemon zest
"I'll go by myself then...Lady and I will eat all the lemon cakes and just have the best time without you." - Sansa Stark
The picture shown is the slapdash version (iced lemon cake made in a muffin pan). Below is the official recipe for Sansa's lemon cakes, made public by the official production blog for HBO after the "Game of Thrones" TV series began. This recipe is credited to Tom Colicchio, from Craft of Cooking (2003).
Making the Lemon Cakes
You will need:
- 6 four-oz. ramekins
- Butter and sugar, for oiling and dusting ramekins
- 2-3 lemons
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A pan with raised sides, aluminum foil, and water, for cooking
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (163 degrees C).
- Butter and dust the inside of the six ramekins with sugar.
- Squeeze lemons until you have around 2.5 tablespoons of juice.
- Add lemon zest and juice to a medium bowl, along with buttermilk and egg yolks (be sure to reserve the whites).
- Whisk until smooth. Combine flour, sugar, and salt separately; then, gradually add to bowl while still mixing.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Carefully fold these into the bowl as well, without deflating the whites.
- Evenly divide the batter between the six ramekins, and place each in the pan with raised sides.
- Fill pan with water until the water line reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake until the cakes are almost firm (about 25 minutes).
- Remove foil and bake until the cakes are golden, soft, and springy (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from pan and serve.