Inspired by: Card Captor Sakura
Secret Ingredient: Ginger and sesame oil
"Here, a nikuman." - Yukito
Nikuman (肉まん) are sweet, steamed dumplings filled with seasoned pork and vegetables. They're quite delicious. Experimenting with flavors and fillings is encouraged!
You will need:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder (or 2 tsp instant yeast)
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2/3 cup warm milk
- 5 ounces ground pork
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 3 minced green onions
- 3 minced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- In a large bowl, combine warmed milk, baking powder (or yeast), and 3 tablespoons of the sugar.
- Gradually, add flour to the mixture. If too sticky, add more flour until workable.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough until smooth and elastic (about 15 minutes).
- Allow the dough to rest (about 30 minutes).
- While waiting, make filling by combining the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl, and mixing until sticky.
- Flatten a quarter-sized ball of dough using a rolling pin, fill with meat mixture, and pinch to close. Repeat with remaining dough and meat.
- Steam the buns (about 15 minutes), and serve hot.