"Never drink more than two Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters unless you are a thirty-ton mega elephant with bronchial pneumonia." - Zaphod Beeblebrox
Douglas Adams has confirmed making one of these is impossible on Earth (in part due to the laws of physics). This hasn't stopped fans from making many different versions of the recipe, leading to many heated arguments about what it should look or taste like or how true it should be to the original recipe.
The first recipe featured here is a slight adaptation of the PGGB that's often served in geek-themed bars, while the second is slightly more true to the books. The original, impossible instructions are as follows.
- Take the juice from one bottle of that Ol' Janx Spirit.
- Pour into it one measure of water from the seas of Santraginus V (Oh, that Santragian seawater! Oh, those Santragian fish!)
- Allow three cubes of Arcturan Mega-gin to melt into the mixture (it must be properly iced or the benzine is lost).
- Allow four litres of Fallian marsh gas to bubble through it, in memory of all those happy Hikers who have died of pleasure in the Marshes of Fallia.
- Over the back of a silver spoon float a measure of Qualactin Hypermint extract, redolent of all the heavy odours of the dark Qualactin Zones, subtle, sweet, and mystic.
- Drop in the tooth of an Algolian Suntiger. Watch it dissolve, spreading the fires of the Algolian Suns deep into the heart of the drink.
- Sprinkle Zamphuor.
- Add an olive.
- Drink...but...very carefully...
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Fill a glass with ice.
- Add the whiskey, schnapps, and Blue Curaçao.
- Fill up the rest of the glass with orange juice, and stir.
- Soak the sugar cube with a few drops of Angostura bitters.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Pour in vodka, Blue Curaçao, gin, and sparkling lemonade.
- Over the back of a silver spoon, add the mint extract.
- Shake until well chilled, then pour into glass.
- Drop the soaked sugar cube into the glass.
- Sprinkle the drink with grenadine.
- Garnish with the olive.