"How you get so big, eating food of this kind?" - Jedi Master Yoda
This recipe was originally crafted by Craig Claiborne, who was invited to create an Earth version of Jedi Master Yoda's soup from The Empire Strikes Back. I may have gotten a little too excited and made Yoda emoticons.
Click here to learn how to embed these little Jedi masters into your own website.
Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back (Episode V)
Star Wars - The Old Republic - Knights of the Fallen Empire
Yoda - Dark Rendezvous
Rebel Force - Hostage
The Empire Strikes Back - A Storybook
The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee
- Slice lamb (or other meat) into cubes about one-inch thick.
- As desired, season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Add 3 tablespoons oil to a fry pan along with the seasoned lamb.
- Stir over medium-low heat until meat has browned, and then remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, chop parsley, onions, garlic, ginger root, and chilies finely.
- Add chopped ingredients except for ginger root and chilies to a Dutch oven along with the remaining 3 tablespoons oil.
- Heat and mix the ingredients until the onions have wilted.
- Add lamb, coriander, cumin, tumeric, ginger root, chilies, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, and additional salt and pepper as desired.
- Add water to cover and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and allow to simmer until lamb is tender (about 2 hours).
- Five minutes before 2 hours is up, rinse spinach and place in a pot of boiling water until wilted (about 5 minutes).
- Drain, chop, and finally mix spinach into the Dutch oven, allowing it to lend its flavor to the stew (about 5 minutes).
- Serve over white rice, and feel the force flow through you.