Yoda's Rootleaf Stew
Name: Yoda's Rootleaf Stew
Inspired by: Star Wars
Secret Ingredient: Lamb
"How you get so big, eating food of this kind?" - Jedi Master Yoda
Making the Rootleaf Stew
You will need:
- 3 pounds lean lamb or other meat
- Salt and pepper, as desired
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 6 cups parsley
- 3 cups onions
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons ginger root
- 1 teaspoon hot green or red chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 pounds fresh spinach
- Slice lamb (or other meat) into cubes about one-inch thick.
- As desired, season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Add 3 tablespoons oil to a fry pan along with the seasoned lamb.
- Stir over medium-low heat until meat has browned, and then remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, chop parsley, onions, garlic, ginger root, and chilies finely.
- Add chopped ingredients except for ginger root and chilies to a Dutch oven along with the remaining 3 tablespoons oil.
- Heat and mix the ingredients until the onions have wilted.
- Add lamb, coriander, cumin, tumeric, ginger root, chilies, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, and additional salt and pepper as desired.
- Add water to cover and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and allow to simmer until lamb is tender (about 2 hours).
- Five minutes before 2 hours is up, rinse spinach and place in a pot of boiling water until wilted (about 5 minutes).
- Drain, chop, and finally mix spinach into the Dutch oven, allowing it to lend its flavor to the stew (about 5 minutes).
- Serve over white rice, and feel the force flow through you.