"Pefko, like so many professional soldiers, turned out to have an almond macaroon for a heart." - Rudy Waltz (Deadeye Dick)
I tend to have an almond macaroon for a heart when it comes to Kurt Vonnegut's writing. Here's a recipe from the man himself, as featured in Deadeye Dick.
- Preheat an oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients but granulated sugar.
- Line baking sheets with unglazed paper, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Use a pastry tube (or cut a hole in the corner of a food storage bag) to pipe the mixture onto the paper into uniform gobs.
- Sprinkle each with sugar.
- Bake until golden (about 20 minutes), and let cool. Placing the sheet of macaroons on a damp cloth, paper side down, will make it easier to loosen the cookies from the paper.