"I see! Anpan-man, is it?" - Uncle Jam
Anpan is a type of Japanese sweet roll. You can choose to buy the azuki (red bean) paste filling or make your own as below.
Denshi Sentai Denjiman
- Add yeast to warm water and a little sugar. Wait until nice bubbles form.
- In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, milk, and beaten egg. Add to proofed yeast.
- In another bowl, combine flour, remaining sugar, and salt. Combine with wet ingredients.
- Knead until dough is smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes by electric mixer).
- Cover and and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Divide the dough into about 8 balls, then cover again and let rise briefly to regain good shape (about 15 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F).
- Roll azuki paste into a ball. Then, flatten a ball of dough, place the azuki paste in the center, and wrap the dough around it to seal.
- Flatten slightly, to doughnut height. Flip so the sealed side is on the bottom, then press your finger in the center (not all the way through!) to make a slight dent.
- Sprinkle black sesame seeds in the center (optional).
- Bake until golden brown (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from oven. Brush olive oil or egg wash on top (optional).