Name: Cheesy Poofs
Inspired by: South Park
Secret Ingredient: Gruyère cheese
"I love cheesy poofs. You love cheesy poofs. If we didn't eat cheesy poofs, we'd be laaaame." - Cartman
This is a recipe for gougères - the fanciest of homemade cheesy poofs. Gougères are light, easy, and have a delightful hollow center.
Making the Cheesy Poofs
You will need:
- 1 cup water
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese, grated
- 4 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (218 degrees C).
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup water, butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. When butter melts, reduce the heat to low and add the flour.
- While stirring, cook until mixture begins to pull away from the side of the pan (about 1 minute).
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese until well incorporated.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time, and stir until the batter is smooth and firm.
- Drop mixture in rounded spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake until the cheesy poofs have doubled in size and are golden brown in color (about 18-20 minutes).
- Serve warm or cold as a light appetizer or side dish.