Name: Pumpkin Cookies
Inspired by: Don't Starve
"That's a pretty gourd cookie!" - Wilson
These soft, spiced pumpkin cookies are bursting with sweet cranberries, white chocolate, and homemade honeycomb.
Making the Honeycomb
You will need:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1.5 tbsp honey
- 1/6 cup corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Mix all ingredients except baking soda in a large saucepan.
- Put saucepan on medium heat and boil until the mixture has caramelized. (Do not stir during this process!)
- Remove from heat. Prepare a sheet of parchment on a cookie sheet.
- Add baking soda, and stir with a wooden spoon or whisk. The mixture will foam up in a big way!
- Once the mixture is whisked, pour out onto parchment paper.
- Leave honeycomb out to harden. (Time varies; can be as fast as an hour).
- Store honeycomb in an airtight container (3-4 days).
Making the Cookies
You will need:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- Honeycomb (above)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, spices, salt, and oats. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, melt butter.
- Whisk in molasses, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
- Whisk in egg yolk, pumpkin, and vanilla until combined.
- Pour into dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Add white chocolate and cranberries.
- For each cookie: roll about 2-3 tablespoons of dough into a ball, flatten slightly, and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned (about 13 minutes). Meanwhile, break honeycomb into small pieces, and place in a small bowl.
- While cookies are still soft, gently press a few honeycomb pieces into each cookie. Set aside to cool.