"Yeah, I'd like to get a 10-piece McNugget and a bunch of the Szechuan sauce. Like, as much as you're allowed to give me." - Rick
This sauce was featured by Andrew Rea on his show Binging with Babish after the McDonald's recipe was released. There are alternative recipes with more common ingredients, including the popular version with plum sake by redditor Xeropoint.
Rick and Morty - The Rickshank Rickdemption
- Whisk all ingredients together, except for corn starch and xantham gum.
- Pour sauce into a saucepan.
- Remove 1/4 cup of the sauce, and combine with corn starch in a separate bowl. Mix back into the sauce.
- Remove another 1/4 cup of the sauce, and combine with xantham gum in a separate bowl (optional). Mix back into the same sauce.
- Whisk over medium heat until thickened.
- Strain, cover, and cool.
- Pound chicken until about 1/4-inch thick.
- Cut chicken into nugget shapes.
- Soak chicken in 4 cups cold water and 2 tsp sea salt (about 2 hours). Blot dry.
- Mix 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup cornstarch, seasoned salt, dry milk powder, 1 tsp sugar, ground ginger and mustard, fine pepper, paprika, and cayenne together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, 1/2 cup water, 2 tsp cornstarch, 2 tsp flour, 1/4 tsp sea salt, sesame oil, soy sauce, and 1/4 tsp sugar together until smooth.
- Coat chicken in the batter mixture until the pieces are completely covered.
- Cover battered chicken pieces in the dry breading mixture.
- Preheat the oil and shortening mixture to 350 degrees F in a deep fryer (or a deep pan).
- Fry chicken until golden brown.
- Allow chicken to cool and drain on a paper towel before serving.