Aunt May's Walnut Date Loaf
Name: Aunt May's Walnut Date Loaf
Inspired by: Captain America 3 - Civil War
Secret Ingredient: Kahlúa
"You know, I'm having a hard time believing she's someone's aunt." - Tony Stark
This walnut date loaf is so soft and flavorful. Delicious hot from the oven, and even better the next day. If you're not a fan of rum, you can substitute coffee or water for the Kahlúa.
Making the Streusel
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons oleo
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl until crumbly.
Making the Walnut Date Loaf
You will need:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Kahlúa
- 2 1/4 cups dates
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts (plus extra for optional garnish)
- Bring water and Kahlúa to a boil in a small saucepan. Meanwhile, chop the dates.
- In a large bowl, combine chopped dates and melted butter.
- Pour the Kahlúa mixture over the dates, and let stand.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Once cool, stir in brown sugar and egg. Fold in flour mixture until just blended.
- Stir in 1 cup of walnuts.
- Pour the mixture into a prepared 9x5" loaf pan. Sprinkle with streusel and additional chopped walnuts.
- Bake until golden brown and cooked through (about 50 minutes).
More Recipes for Aunt May's Walnut Date Loaf