Name: Tiana's Beignets
Inspired by: The Princess and the Frog
Secret Ingredient: High-quality honey
"Well, keep 'em coming 'til I pass out!" - Eli "Big Daddy" La Bouff
Making the Beignets
You will need:
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Honey and confectioners' sugar (garnish)
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk buttermilk, water, egg, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients, one cup at a time, until just combined.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and flatten to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Divide the flattened dough into 3-inch by 3-inch squares.
- In a frying pan, heat two inches of vegetable oil.
- Fry beignets until golden brown (about three minutes) on both sides.
- Place each beignet on a plate or wire rack lined with paper towels to cool.
- Drizzle honey on each beignet, and dust with confectioners' sugar.