Name: Popoto Pancakes
Inspired by: Final Fantasy XIV
Serving Size: makes about 6 small pancakes
"A pancake dish made of ground Dalamud popotoes, served with puréed mirror apples." - Description of the Popoto Pancakes
Nutmeg lends a comforting flavor to these potato pancakes. (I chose to use the spice in the pancakes rather than the apple purée.) If you don't have true red popotos, you can substitute one Idaho russet potato per three red potatoes.
If you're looking for extra flavor in the purée, you can optionally add 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. These ingredients aren't featured in the in-game recipe, but do exist in the FFXIV universe.
Making the Popoto Pancakes
You will need:
- 3 red potatoes
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Wash and grate the potatoes (or use a food processor). Drain any liquid, and add to a bowl.
- Mix in egg, salt, and nutmeg. Add flour by the tablespoon until batter forms.
- Set a frying pan on medium heat, and add a generous amount of oil (at least 1/2 inch high).
- To make each pancake: add about three spoonfuls of batter to the pan, cook three minutes each side, and transfer to a dish lined with paper towels.
- Serve with apple purée (see below).
Making the Mirror Apple Purée
You will need:
- Wash, peel, core, and coarsely slice the apples.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium-size saucepan. Reduce heat and cook apple slices until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Purée in a food processor until smooth.