"Whoohoo, is that toastin' scones I smell?" - Asio
These spiced scones are divine with fresh strawberries and meadowcream. This recipe is inspired by the afternoon tea scones with strawberry jam and cream featured in The Redwall Cookbook.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (232 degrees C), and place a baking sheet inside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- Rub in 4 tablespoons of the butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add sugar, then milk.
- Knead until a smooth, pliable dough forms. (If too sticky, add a little flour).
- Shape dough into two round disks, each about 7-inches in diameter.
- Place rounds on a floured surface and cut into eight wedges each.
- Using oven mitts, remove the baking sheet from the oven, and transfer the scones.
- Bake on top rack until golden brown (about 12 minutes).
- Remove from oven and brush the top of each scone with remaining butter (1 tablespoon, melted).
- Allow to cool on wire rack. Enjoy fresh with strawberries and meadowcream.