Maudie's Toasty Scones
Name: Maudie's Toasty Scones
Inspired by: Eulalia! (Redwall)
Serving Size: 16 scones
"Whoohoo, is that toastin' scones I smell?" - Asio
These spiced scones are divine with fresh strawberries and meadowcream. This recipe is inspired by the afternoon tea scones with strawberry jam and cream featured in The Redwall Cookbook.
Making the Scones
You will need:
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4/3 cups milk
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (232 degrees C), and place a baking sheet inside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- Rub in butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add sugar, then milk.
- Knead until a smooth, pliable dough forms. (If too sticky, add a little flour).
- Shape dough into two round disks, each about 7-inches in diameter.
- Place rounds on a floured surface and cut into eight wedges each.
- Using oven mitts, remove the baking sheet from the oven, and transfer the scones.
- Bake on top rack until golden brown (about 12 minutes).
- Remove from oven and brush the top of each scone with butter.
- Allow to cool on wire rack. Enjoy fresh with strawberries and meadowcream.